Sunday, August 12, 2012

Staccato Rain
Michael Flohr, 2003


“There is a flow that I try to keep in my paintings that evolves into a story of colors and movement that breathe together. A coronation of small, square strokes of premeditated color create the rhythm throughout a piece. Then I combine them with broad brush strokes that serve to ‘marry’ the elements together. I approach each canvas with ‘aggressive subtleness’. My goal as a modern impressionist is to capture a gesture and a mood, not necessarily every pore on the face of a person depicted in one of my paintings. I want my figures to be a part of the painting, not the painting itself. They work together in the environment creating the movement and emotion in a piece. I like to show light and how it travels, where it lands and how it can change color. Light alone can change the look or the mood of a place.”  ~ Michael Flohr

Permission granted by Shaffer Fine Art Gallery, Portland, Oregon

3 comments:

  1. this one raises my metabolism . :)

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Mom! :)

    This painting is one I actually saw in person, and considered purchasing, but it was a bit outside my budget. Fortunately, the gallery gave me a disc with the image, so I was able to download it, and I've held it close since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen anything like this. It's like a mosaic. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete